PROLOGUE: I've been gone for a while and I can't promise that I'm back, but for now, here is something. I haven't been all that productive on personal writing the past couple of months. Truth is I've been too busy or too distracted. My notebook is full of one-liners and two-paragraphs that never quite go any further. Events and talk in the past few weeks though inspired me to write this list. Call it what you want to call it, I just thought I'd share it with you.
1. There is a huge difference between talking about something and actually doing it. This is what separates people, what categorises them. This is why there are people we are in awe of, or are jealous of. But remember, jealously is not a good look on anyone. Look up to these people, let them and your desire to be like them, be your fuel.
2. Social media is a medium we are all working within now. Which is pretty cool. It can open up a whole lot of doors and present some good opportunities, but at times too, social media and the people on it need to be taken with a grain of salt. Watch yourself and don't take it all too seriously.
3. If you put yourself or your work out there, it will be criticised. But it will also bring a lot of praise! Don't let the former get you down. Take it in, consider it as constructive and keep going. Keep creating and keep showing people. It's the only way.
4. If you need to sit out on the sidelines of life for a while, do it. Step back and take time for yourself. No one will judge you, no one will forget you. It's okay to feel the need to be an observer for a while. And you know what? It'll make you greater in the long run.
5. People who say "too much, too soon", or say what's on their mind without being afraid of it are far more interesting than the ones who don't. Stop biting your tongue, stop thinking "oh no, I shouldn't". Instead, try living the opposite of that for a while and see how much further it gets you.
6. If you're living a life that you'd be bored to hear about from someone else, you should probably change something. Whether that be changing the things you're doing or simply your perspective on them. You don't need to be the most exciting person in the room all the time, but you do need to be happy.
7. We all have moments where we don't know what the fuck we are doing with our lives. The people who you think have it "all together" still cry sometimes for no reason and have days where they don't want to get out of bed.
8. It's basically a given that I was going to write a dot point about love. So here it is, lucky last. Stop settling! If you're not feeling it, let it go. Because both of you deserve better, despite the fact that you may "work" in a comfortable fashion. That said, having mind-blowing sex and good coffee conversation with the same person is actually a rare thing to come by. If you have that, recognise it and make something of it.
That's all for now.